Wednesday, August 25, 2010

The Monster Project

Just around the block from my house, a monster appeared yesterday.



As a "commentary on our collective strengths and fears," Brooklyn artist Kylin O'Brien has been painting large-scale monsters as public art for several years.  The artist asks children to show him what they're most scared of, and then translates their pictures into murals.  I'm thrilled that The Monster Project hit up my neighborhood!

The mural, on the wall of a custom autobody shop on Genoa St between 59th & 60th, is slated to be temporary.  I know that the Community Rejuvenation Project is planning a different mural at the same location later this year, which will focus on classic cars at the request of the shop's owner.  But I have to admit, I'm going to be sad to see the monster go.

No comments:

Post a Comment